Sunday 29 September 2013

Patience required during adjustment period

It''s been a while but we've finally settled on a permanent setting for my neurotransmitter's power levels.
Since we activated the device in April, I've been visiting the Movement Disorders Clinic at Foothills Hospital every two weeks or so as we explored different settings in search of the best one for my PD symptoms.  We tried power pulses of different strengths and time lengths. Now Pia, the clinic's surgical nurse, has my device on a setting that seems to work nicely on both my PD symptoms and my neck dystonia. I feel like I'm moving with more fluidity than ever and my neck spasms, though not completely eliminated, have calmed down significantly.
It's no problem for me now to look people in the eye when I talk to them, which is a big plus over my pre-surgery behaviour when my neck had a mind of its own.
I walked the 3.2 km course in the Step 'n Stride walk for Parkinson Alberta here in Calgary earlier this month ad raised about $1500.  Last year, I could never have walked so far.  When Vicki and I went on a Baltic cruise in August, I walked up to 4 km a day, exploring the art treasures of St. Petersburg, Russia and enchanting Scandinavian cities like Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen and Helsinki.  We also spent an amazing three days in Berlin. It was a marvelous holiday and all that much better because of my new-found mobility.
I didn't have the strength or balance required to ride my bike prior to my surgery. Now, I'm back on my trusty two-wheeler and I've cycled as much as 10 km at a time this summer. I sure missed being on the bike; it used to be a big part of my life.
My golf game is even improving!
I now realize now how much patience  was needed on my part to keep trying different settings for my neurotransmitter. I never dreamed it would take four to five months of tinkering to get it right.
But it's certainly well worth it.  People who haven't seen me for a while tell me how remarkable the change in my mobility and decreased PD symptoms are and I just smile.  I'm so fortunate.
Looking forward to watching more episodes of Michael J. Fox's new TV show.  I caught the premiere and thought it was very good.  Fox portrays the disease as it affects him with honesty and humour. I like how he downplays the "I'm a hero" label.  I don't think any of us with PD like that label.  Like the character Fox portrays, we just want to get on with life.
I wonder how realistic it is, though, that he has gone back to a demanding job after having been off work -- presumably on disability pension, like so many of us --  for so long.  I for one know I'm still not well enough to return to my job right now.  Early retirement was the right move for me.
While technology has pushed back the advance of my PD, it hasn't eliminated the inevitable progress of the disease.  It's just bought me more time, perhaps four to five years, maybe more.  Who knows?
One day at a time.


.



  

1 comment: