Thursday 14 March 2013

the longest day ends in success

I made it through the surgery.  Thank God!
Here is sit in front of the computer, brain still somewhat scrambled after two significant surgeries and looking like Frankenstein Jr. with all the stitches in my 'noggin.
I think I scared the s--t out of more than several people at a close friend's funeral yesterday, as it was one of those days when my speech was not clear or loud.  I mumbled something they couldn't understand and said something about final hookup for my hardware coming after Easter, when my brain and all my incisions are healed and swelling is no more. They just smiled blankly back. Obviously, they didn't understand a word I had uttered.
On March 4, the first part of surgery required me to be at the Foothills Hospital at 5 am for preparation and a preliminary CAT scan so that surgeons could map my brain.  Actual surgery commenced about 7:30 am and didn't end until closing about 7:30 p.m.
 The OR was a cacaphony of noise and light as people came and went all day. And I was awake for the entire procedure, with local anaethestic in my scalp so that I could guide the surgery team towards the right targets deep inside my brain. I stll don't know how I did it, but I did. Talk about an endurance test.
Having my head bolted into a frame within another frame used to set surgical co-ordinates on my skull also helped keep me still.
The team drilled two major holes on the right side of my brain, and then inserted probes which used electrical sounds to find target sites.  As they neared the target sites, technicians called out how far they were from the site  -- for example 8.8 mms -- and said what the cells were like in that area.I was told to watch for unusual responses, such a a burst if light in my field of vision -- as they applied different amounts of current. I recall seeing bursts of light, as well as a strong sensation pulling down on my left shoulder, arm and leg.
Probes inserted into the right side of my brain produced some strong responses on my left side and a few strong flashes, as I recall.
The morning passed quickly. As the day progressed and we began work on my brain's left side, I grew more weary.I asked one of the surgeons, Keith, a friendly, unflappable Aussie, when he was going to be done. He estimated about 2 1/2 hours. Each minute that went by seemed like an eternity.
A very full day finally ended with freedom from the metal frame and a headache you wouldn't believe. I was wheeled into a corner in the Recovery Room, where I spent that night due to a lack of beds. I spent two more nights in an overflow area of the neurology ward and then finally got a bed in a semi-room for my last night. Thank you, Alberta government!
I'm going to sign off now and promise another posting next week on Part 2 of the surgery..
Until then, take care.

I've encountered some blogspot hosting problems which I'm now trying the iron out. In the meantime, here is my latest postng.











1 comment:

  1. Awesome Dave! I can hear the anticipation in your voice for when you're all 'connected'. The headache, I can believe with no problem - the holes being drilled while you are awake is another thing entirely! Honestly Dave - you are one brave man and we are pulling for the best of possible results.

    ReplyDelete